Good Environmental Choice Australia (GECA) has launched a new paints and coatings standard.
A new paints and coatings standard, GECA 23-2012 Paints and Coatings v2.1, has been launched by Good Environmental Choice Australia (GECA). The new standard builds upon the foundations of the previous GECA 23-2005 Architectural and Protective Coatings with lower VOC limits, the exclusion of solvent-based products, a new criterion that addresses biocides and an expanded scope that now covers artist and student paints.
The environmental and health benefits of this standard will mean:
- a healthier workplace for painting and coating professionals.
- a healthier environment for DIY painters
- a safer workplace for those involved in the manufacture of paints and coatings
- better waste management during production
- less downtime between painting and occupying work and living spaces
- better product labelling for end-users, and
- no Glycol ethers, carcinogens, mutagens, BPA, heavy metals, ozone-depleting substances or known harmful biocides.
A copy of the new standard and a comparison of changes made in the new standard are available here.